WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 06-17-2012

Vomiting is a forceful ejection of gastric and occasionally proximal small intestines. It is important to determine if any toxins may have been ingested.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener in many products. It shown to inhibit the growth of certain bacteria and has anticarcinogenic property in oral care products.

In people consuming 130g/day will cause diarrhea. Going over 0.1g/kg in dog will cause hypoglycemia and elevated liver enzymes.

Five out of eight dogs with Xylitol poisoning had to be euthanized at ASPCA d.t. liver failure, caused by everyday food items (cookies, miffins, cupcakes, etc.)    

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

In Case of EMERGENCY

If your pet needs medical attention outside of our office hours please contact
the Veterinary Emergency Hospital of West Toronto at 416-239-3453 for after hour assistance.

THIS ---->https://roncesvallesanimalhospital.com/blog/b_16715_vomiting_in_dogs_and_cats.html

Office Hours

Day
Monday8:00am7:00pm
Tuesday8:00am7:00pm
Wednesday8:00am7:00pm
Thursday8:00am7:00pm
Friday8:00am5:00pm
Saturday9:00am1:00pm
SundayClosedClosed
Day
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
8:00am 8:00am 8:00am 8:00am 8:00am 9:00am Closed
7:00pm 7:00pm 7:00pm 7:00pm 5:00pm 1:00pm Closed

Newsletter Sign Up